News - War memorial project reveals some of fallen’s names missing

Redditch%e2%80%99s%20war%20memorial

War memorial project reveals some of fallen’s names missing - March 15, 2013

A PROJECT to uncover the people behind the names on Redditch’s war memorial has revealed some of the borough’s war dead may be missing from the monument.

Members of the Remembering Redditch’s Heroes project are now asking Redditch Borough Council to consider putting on the names of those who have been left off the memorial outside St Stephen’s Church.

The project was set-up following last year’s Remembrance Sunday event with the aim to research as much information as possible about those who sacrificed their lives in the First and Second World Wars and conflicts since in a bid to ensure they are not lost in history.

But initial research has found the sacrifice made by about 12 men, during The Great War in particular, has not been officially recognised on the town’s memorial even though they are recorded with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) or buried in one of the borough’s cemeteries.

Project chairman Ian Dipple said: “We have been told it was the responsibility of the families to inform the local authority of the name of their loved one so they could be placed on the memorial and it appears some people were either not aware of that or were perhaps too traumatised to do so.

“We’re in the process of verifying the exact list as it is possible some of the missing names may appear on other memorials elsewhere in the borough but once that process is complete we will publish the names to see if there are any living relatives of the men who have any objection to their names being put on the memorial and then ask the council to add them, which they have indicated they would be willing to do.”

The project is being co-ordinated by Standard editor Ian Dipple, Philip Jarvis and Thomas Bough from the Redditch History and Heritage Group and Barry Tansley from the Parachute Regimental Association and Royal British Legion.

It will initially focus on those men killed in the First World War with the aim of publishing the information in a book and website in time for the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the conflict next year. An exhibition is also planned at St Philip’s Church in Webheath next August to coincide with the anniversary of Britain entering the war and also in the town centre in the run up to Remembrance Sunday 2014.

Anyone wanting to get involved or with any information about the men on the town memorial, from either the First or Second World War, should email philipjarvis1@btinternet.com or call him on 01527 544068.

Source: Redditch Standard 


Back to all news

Services

Restoration

Conservation

Stone Carving

Lime Motar Repairs

Hand Carved Lettering

DOFF Stone Cleaning

Qualified Crafstmen

Project Management

New Memorial Installation

Health & Safety Audits

Quality Assurance

Environmental Assurance